Available for Pre-Order: $14.95
Living with Sickle Cell
The Inside Story
By Judy Gray Johnson
Sickle Cell is often thought of as the “invisible disease.” It affects every organ in the body, yet no one would ever know unless there is a crisis. Living with Sickle Cell: The Inside Story will help you understand the struggle of surviving with this disease. This book is the “heart and soul’ story of a woman who has beaten the odds of not only surviving with this inherited chronic illness, but she has surpassed the average lifespan of 45 years of age. Judy G. Johnson budgeted her energy and sustained the pain to educate herself and retired as a school teacher. As a single parent, she encouraged her daughter throughout her career to be the best she could be. Today, her daughter is a clinical therapist with a PhD in private practice.
In Living with Sickle Cell: The Inside Story you will discover that:
- It’s a war cry to bring awareness to the disease
- Looks can be deceiving, pain is not visual
- It dispels the myth of laziness
- Majority of Sickle Cell survivors are not “drug addicts”
- Sickle Cell Disease (Disorder) is not just an African American disease (every ethnic group can be a carrier)
- Regardless of your ethnicity, everyone should have a Hemoglobin Electrophoresis blood test
“Judy Gray Johnson is one of my heroes who inspire all those with sickle cell disease to live a full like. She has a wealth of wisdom to share and a teacher’s heart to help readers of all ages.”
About the Author
Judy Gray Johnson has been living with Sickle Cell for more than 70 years. Other books by the author are Living with Sickle Cell Disease: the Struggle to Survive and Resilience: A Personal Story of Coping with the Ravages of Sickle Cell Disease…Against All Odds. Judy lives in Valencia, California and continues to advocate in the cause of finding real quality of life changes for those suffering with Sickle Cell.